Monday, August 11, 2008

The Bindra Soothe'r

I was one of those patriotic sports lovers, who criticised the SYSTEM (To me, it includes all those negative factors pulling us down as a nation), for our performance at all levels of sports and games. I was one among those 1 billion inferior souls. Before a few days, when the whole world was preparing for this big event, The Beijing Olympics, I read an article in Economic Times, which said that BRIC nations has grown its gold medals tally 40% over the last three Olympics. It made me so proud for a moment before my grey cells started doing that math, because it includes India in that four nation bloc. There was no reason for me to be proud as an Indian, for that statement, as India had contributed no gold to increase the count. Yeah, I could have been proud because we did not decrease the count :). There should be many like me, who thought, why a country with so huge population could not even win a single medal. It was deep bruise in so many hearts.

Yesterday, came the ointment, which I call "The Bindra Soothe'r". Abinav Bindra, won the first individual gold medal in the Olympics, for our nation, in the 10 metre air rifle event.

Still there can be discussions and debates about the SYSTEM, on whether IT had any contribution in his run to the podium, whether the SYSTEM is conducive in the same way to all class of sports(wo)men, whether it is just an event or a good start. For now, leaving behind these debates, it is really soothing to hear our national anthem being played at the Olympics.

No comments: