Monday, December 17, 2007

Respect - Ingredient of the Soil

Does this topic make any sense? Obviously not, in the logical mind. Even not for me, until I realised it before a few days.

Major part of my life had been spent around Coimbatore - the ancient Chera kingdom. My birth place and my native place is in the ancient Pandya kingdom. The languages spoken in these two parts of current Tamilnadu are distinctly seperate. This was the only thing I observed all these years and of course having lived so many years I had inherited a large part of Coimbatore language. Though, I had heard from various sources that these sect of people from the ancient Chera kingdom express their respect in their language itself, I had not observed it so keenly as I was a part of the sect before I migrated to various places for my occupation. I had lived in different parts of India. Few worth-mentioning Tamizh speaking parts are Tiruchirappalli, Pudukkottai and Chennai. More to this I had the opportunity to listen to almost all flavours of Tamizh during my under graduation years.

Recently, I visited Coimbatore after a long gap. Due to the feel of various dialects of Tamizh that I have had earlier, I analysed their language to a greater depth, this time. It was so sweet and soothing. These people not only express respect in their language, as I had been told earlier, they also express kindness. I would like to quote one of the incidents that made me say this. I was travelling in the city bus to an unknown location. I was not aware of the exact fare. So, I gave the conductor Rs.10. The actual fare was Rs.6. While giving the ticket, the conductor asked "oru ruva irukaang saami?". Due to my limitation in English, I could not directly translate it. But, apart from the fact that it was full of respect, it was very very kind, which is not a common trait found among the city bus conductors. If a bus conductor could speak so sweet, I could imagine the extent of respect and kindness these people offer to others.

This is apparently not taught in school. It could only be an ingredient of Chera soil, where these people are born and are living. After writing so much about this language, it would not be fair enough to finish the topic without mentioning that, the language is called "Kongu Tamizh" and this soil is called "Kongnadu".

No comments: