Saturday, November 04, 2006

Aerobulance

From the day, I started living in the big cities of India, I m worried about the clumsy, undisciplined road traffic. Indians including me are highly ambitious while it comes to driving. We always go to achieve the worst possible estimate of time on the road. Traffic jam, choked road, expected diversions (actually traffic diversions are un-expected events, but not in India) – nothing stops us. Increase in literacy rate, increase in road accidents, increase in vehicle count, nothing has created interest in road rules. Our road rules are only on paper.
While I was young, growing up in a small urban, I used to see Lord Yama in the form of road accidents. But now, having lived in different big cities of India I think Lord Yama has another avatar (Different manifestations of a God according to Hindu mythology) too, on the road, in addition to the road accidents.
The other day, I was traveling along the Brigade road in auto-rickshaw. It was a typical Bangalore evening where the entire landscape turns into a free pub with flashing head lights and rock noise from vehicles. Amongst this rock, I was able to hear a high pitch wailing. It was from an ambulance. Never before I had seen (even tough imagined a few times) an ambulance struck in traffic. My curiosity was aroused. I peeped out of the rickshaw to see the surrounding herd (of vehicles) and ensure that my imagination were correct. The road on our side where the ambulance howled was halted by red signal. The traffic constable at the signal stopped the vehicles from other sides manually and let our side move. Bangalore has no differentiating factor between the junction signal and the normal road. We along with the ambulance crossed the road but yet choked up. I could see people rushing behind the ambulance to go fast and cross the junctions without waiting in the signals. Thank God they didn’t go in front. The road was so badly populated with vehicles that few good hearts and few hearts which pretended to be good, who wanted to give way to ambulance also had no choice. There was also a sect of people who were normal as if the siren was a horn of a vehicle, which is not a matter of botheration in Bangalore.
My worry about the clumsy, undisciplined road traffic in Indian cities was pictured in front of my eye, where I could only become a dumb spectator clasping my finger and praying for the poor soul lying inside the ambulance. I felt very bad about Indians and Indian traffic where there are no lanes, no stop lines, no idea what a zebra crossing is and more so. It may take many more years when someone can imagine an un-interrupted way for the ambulance.
I wonder if some automobile manufacturer can come out with a low altitude flying machine which can be substituted for the ambulance.

3 comments:

Gandaragolaka said...

good start! nicely written.

Manoj Pillai said...

Sad, but true.
But then, "Yeh hai India meri jaan". We have too much of manpower, and hence accordiong to the laws of demand and supply, human life has a very low value. ;-)

Vijayabharathi C said...

very well written.. very good english..totally article is good.. a common thing every indian have to think..